I began the original project in March 2011 but then our lives were turned upside down when my husband and I were in a serious car accident that landed him in the hospital for an undetermined amount of time and me off work. I needed something to take my mind off of everything between hospital visits so I decided to finish the bathroom. My heart wasn’t in it so I changed my design plan to make it simpler and I did a rush job. Needless to say, I was not happy with the outcome and it brought back a lot of bad memories and as well. I don’t know what took me so long to decide to make some changes.
This was how it looked, I was so sick of the pink and grey! It all started with this soap dispenser. I fell in love with the geometric pattern and of course the pink! I had thought it was a great jumping off point for our then plain Jane half bath. Boy was I wrong.
I still loved the idea of a geometric wall but I’ve been more into simple and light designs lately. Black, white, and gold have become my colour palette of choice. and since this room is right off of the laundry/mudroom (and I LOVE how that turned out) I opted to continue that look. After a LOT of sanding (taping off a pattern creates ridges that will show through your new coat of paint.) I painted the walls Benjamin Moore’s Baby Fawn OC-15 which is the trim and many walls throughout our house. I considered using a patterned wallpaper but after all of that sanding I wasn’t ready to apply another hard to remove product. Plus wallpaper can get pretty pricy. After hours of pinning ideas I came across this “Sharpie Wallpaper” from 4 Men 1 Lady and new it was going to be perfect!
- Long Level – Lowes
- Clear Quilter’s Square – Amazon
- Gold Sharpie Paint Marker (fine) – Amazon
- Ruler – Amazon
- Patience – It is not difficult but it does take some time. I liked to sneak in and do a few rows here and there to break it up a bit. But some good music or and audiobook will make the time fly by!
Michelle’s tutorial was so great that I pretty much followed it, I just changed a couple of things. I did a larger scale herringbone and I left the end/corner strips blank as I had a hard time getting the fat marker right into the corner. I also found the clear quilter’s square extremely helpful. Once I measured out one vertical row then I used the angle on the quilter’s square and continued on across the wall without any more measuring!
It was sometimes tricky to find the correct placement of the quilter’s square as it had to be flipped over, but you get the hang of it pretty fast. I recommend starting this project when you don’t have a tight deadline. I feel that trying to rush or being stressed is cause for disaster here. And remember that a wet cloth or a paintbrush can fix any mistakes!
I am loving the final product! Here is a sneak peak but you’ll have to wait for the final bathroom reveal post to see the full effect. Stay tuned!
Thanks for stopping by,