This macaroni & cheese is the perfect comfort food with a healthy kick!
It’s not easy to feed your family a healthy home cooked meal that is quick and easy and they will actually enjoy. I know that kids need to learn to eat vegetables in their natural form and hopefully learn to like them. (Though I am still waiting on that for myself.) But sometimes it’s nice to sit down to a meal together with no bartering or whining. One that doesn’t involve fast food.
This macaroni & cheese will have them gobbling up their vegetables without even knowing it. Even begging for seconds!
Here’s how I did it:
Fill a medium or large saucepan about a quarter full with water and set to boil. Once boiling add the chopped cauliflower and carrots then cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
Add squash then cover and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. I use the President’s Choice pre-chopped stuff from the frozen section as I find butternut squash hard to chop. Drain (save 3/4 C of the water) and then let them cool for a few minutes so that the steam doesn’t blow the lid off of your blender. The cooling isn’t as necessary if you’re using a Vitamix as they are made to handle hot liquids.
Blend the veggies and the 3/4 cups of water that you saved until smooth. Pour it into a large saucepan that is on med-low heat.
Add the remaining ingredients (except pasta) and stir until smooth again. Cook pasta according to the package, drain and then stir together with the sauce.
Serve and get ready for all the complements to come rolling in!
- 3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 small head of cauliflower cut into pieces
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 4 TBSP butter
- 16 oz macaroni pasta
- Fill saucepan 1/4 full with water and boil.
- Add cauliflower and carrots, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Add squash, cover and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Drain (save 3/4 cup water) and let cool for a few minutes.
- Blend veggies and reserved water until smooth.
- Pour into a large saucepan on med-low heat.
- Add milk, salt, cheddar, butter, and cream cheese and stir until smooth.
- Cook pasta according to directions, drain and stir into sauce.
If you enjoyed this Mac & Cheese recipe, don’t forget to pin it for later!
Thanks for reading,